In 1929, Worth Waldo Smith started traveling from Maine to Florida and as far west as Indiana, buying and selling surplus and closeout goods. He purchased factory over-runs and seconds such as copper kettles and ballpein hammers. Later, Worth went onto to buy and sell World War II surplus and ladders. It wasn't long before his extensive inventory and growing family forced him to create a store location. This location was formally the family dairy farm located on a back road in Farmers Valley, PA. This first Worth W. Smith Co. store became a famous landmark for those looking for the unusual.